Payroll + Accounts Payable Specialist
The Allies Payroll + Accounts Payable Specialist collects, compiles and maintains data for the organization’s payroll, benefits and accounting systems. The position prepares and verifies information for biweekly payroll, reconciles invoices from benefit providers and for staff expenses, and ensures general ledger accounts are complete and accurate. The position reports to the Chief Financial Officer and works closely with Director of Human Resources and Allies staff.
To improve health and well-being, Allies provides integrated medical care, supportive human services, and community-based education for individuals living with, or at risk of HIV, viral hepatitis and sexually transmitted infections.
Allies envisions a healthier community whereby people access integrated medical care and supportive human services in a respectful setting, free of stigma and discrimination.
- Update and maintain employee records in payroll platform and HRIS software;
- Initiate and authorize biweekly payroll process, ensuring that approvals have been secured from supervisors;
- Verify and maintain payroll deductions, deferrals and withholdings for all employees;
- Investigate and resolve errors or discrepancies;
- Initiate and complete new hire payroll entries;
- Perform benefits administration including enrollment, recording and reporting changes, reviewing invoices for accuracy, and assisting staff with process questions outside scope of payroll provider service center;
- Process and post bi-monthly payroll and 401(k) deferrals;
- Generate reports for payroll, analysis, auditing and compliance;
- Compose and distribute memos and documents related to compensation and position changes;
- Manage year-end employee W-2 distribution;
- Perform annual 1099 reporting;
- Process vendor invoices, including coding to appropriate projects and general ledger accounts and making payments on a timely basis;
- Manage corporate credit cards including coding to appropriate projects and general ledger accounts and processing payments on a timely basis;
- Review, post and pay monthly employee expense reports;
- Process general ledger journal entries related to payroll and benefits;
- Reconcile general ledger accounts on a monthly basis related to assigned payroll and benefit accounts;
- For assigned general ledger accounts, prepare auditor requested reconciliations and provide supporting documents for year-end financial statement audits.
- Seek out up-to-date information about Allies’ programs and services, as well as relevant local, regional and national health statistics that will inform and support our mission;
- Improve job knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations and best practices; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations;
- Embrace and exemplify organizational standards and guiding principles for processes, protocols, and utilization;
- Commit to Allies’ promise to sustain and extend diversity, equity and inclusion;
- Contribute to efforts which build and reinforce Allies’ distinctive, effective and ethical practices.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- 2+ years of payroll experience, preferably in a professional nonprofit environment;
- Proficient in financial accounting, with strong knowledge of GAAP and financial reporting practices and procedures;
- Ability to quickly assess issues and relevant information to make effective decisions;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to establish and maintain relationships with co-workers, visitors, and non-agency representatives;
- Advanced experience in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint);
- Proven ability to work with minimal direction, as well as be resourceful and independent in solving problems;
- Acute attention to detail and a dedication to providing high quality work products;
- Willingness to work in an adaptive and innovative environment;
- Experience in handling sensitive/confidential information;
- General principles related to payroll, benefit administration and accounting;
- General knowledge of legal standards regarding employment classification and payroll processing.
Education & Experience
- Two-year undergraduate degree in accounting or equivalent;
- Previous experience with ADP payroll platforms, as well as accounting and expense software such as Quickbooks and Expensify is required;
- Customer service experience in a mission-driven service organization preferred.
The Payroll + Accounts Payable Specialist may be called upon to engage in physical activity related to general office work including the capacity to lift 35 lbs. and stand or sit for extended periods. Current PA child abuse, PA criminal history, federal criminal history clearances, and verification of TB test performed within the last year are required within the first 30 days of employment.
Please submit resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Mark Marsen, director of human resources, at email@example.com. Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.