The Medical Secretary is responsible for the administrative functions of the Allies Clinic as well as creating and fostering exceptional patient relations. There is significant contact with other departments to build an integrated care model for our clients. The position reports to the Director of Community Health and works closely with Allies staff.
To improve health and well-being, ALLIES provides integrated medical care, supportive human services, and community-based education for individuals living with, or at risk of HIV, viral hepatitis, and sexually transmitted infections.
ALLIES envisions a healthier community whereby people access integrated medical care and supportive human services in a respectful setting, free of stigma and discrimination.
- Direct and support patients through administrative processes of medical appointments such as form completion and referrals
- Gather and enter demographic and insurance information of patients and clients utilizing services
- Verify insurance for medical services by calling insurance providers or using online tools such as Navinet, Promise, UPMC, etc.
- Maintain medical records and correspondence
- Schedule and confirm patient appointments
- Verify services provided, collect co-pays and fees for services, and schedule appointments
- Greet visitors, ascertain purpose of visit, and direct them as appropriate
- Answer telephones and direct calls to appropriate staff
- Operate office equipment, such as voice mail messaging systems, and use word processing, spreadsheet, or other software applications to prepare reports, invoices, financial statements, letters, case histories, or medical records
- Transmit correspondence or medical records by mail, e-mail, or fax
- Provide feedback to improve clinic services
- Assist Allies administrative staff
- Improve professional knowledge by remaining aware of new regulations and best practices; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
The Medical + Billing Secretary should have demonstrated experience in the following areas:
- A minimum of 2 years working in a primary care or clinic setting providing administrative support
- Working with a diverse customer demographic, ideally LGBT+, minority youth, or minority women
- Establishing standards for excellence in patient service
- Building relationships
- Utilizing an electronic health record system for patient demographics, scheduling, claims process and resolution, and data tracking. Allies uses the Athena EHR system.
- Balancing and prioritizing administrative responsibilities
- Safety protocols associated with working in a primary care setting
- Contributing to an organization’s growth and/or initiative involving significant change
- Adept in Microsoft Office software
An Associate’s degree in medical office management or equivalent experience is required.